Social Security

On March 1, 2008, the Canada-Japan Social Security Agreement came into effect completing a process that started as an initiative of the CCCJ Tax Committee over a decade ago. Now Canadian workers can use their periods of social security coverage in Canada to qualify for Japanese social security benefits. Temporary workers can also use their contributions under the Japanese pension system towards their Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security (OAS) benefits. Short-term stay employees may also qualify to contribute only into their existing CPP and OAS system.

The CCCJ has compiled the required forms and included guides published by Human Resources Canada to assist you in filling out these forms.
The documents below are sorted by language and are available in English, French, and translated into Japanese.

For access to the forms in Japanese and French, please use the language switcher in the top menu and find the forms on their own language page.