Let's Go to Kamaishi!
Kamaishi is one of countless towns that were utterly devastated by the 2011 tsunami, and the stadium that the game will be held in was built to commemorate the lives lost during the disaster. Kamaishi, the city of "Steel, Fish, and Rugby" spent billions of yen and years of construction to build the best purpose-built rugby stadium in Japan, and this is a once in a lifetime chance to see the Canadian Rugby team vie for the Webb Ellis Cup against Namibia!
We encourage all Canadians to join us on the weekend of October 12 through 14 to come celebrate with the people of Kamaishi through the spectacle of sport, and create meaningful, sustainable links with this hidden gem of Japan!
Itinerary (exact times are subject to minor changes)
Dates: Saturday, October 12th, 2019 - Monday, October 14th, 2019
Participants: 14 people, CCCJ members. Some have tickets for the game, some don’t.
Saturday, October 12th
- 1028: Leave from Tokyo Station for Shin-Hanamaki Station via Shinkansen
- 1329: Arrive at Shin-Hanamaki Station
- 1449: Board Tono bus bound for Wundertrunk tents
- 1317: Arrive at Wundertrunk tents
- 1710: Finish tour, walk back to Wundertrunk tents
- 1745: Arrive at Wundertrunk tents
- 1800: Dinner!
Sunday, October 13th
- 1130: Begin walking to Unosumai Stadium
- 1130: Depart for Kamaishi Civic Hall Tetto via taxi
- 1145: Arrive at Kamaishi Civic Hall Tetto
- 1145: Arrive at Unosumai Stadium, pregame!
- 1215: Canada vs. Namibia game begins
- 1400: Start walking to Kamaishi Shiritsu Kamaishi Higashi Junior Highschool
- 1435: Arrive at Kamaishi Shinritsu JHS
- 1445: Embark on hill run
- 1545: End hill run
- 1600: Walk to Tsunami Memorial Hall
- 1610: Arrive at Tsunami Memorial Hall, begin tour
- 18:00 Head into town
- 19:45 Japan vs Scotland Public Viewing with the Community
Monday, October 14th
- 0900: Arrive at Unosumai Stadium, run on the pitch
- 1000: Blue Compass barbecue at Minshuku Maekawa
- 10:00~13:00 Free rugby clinic, free English lessons and BBQ for Kids
- 1230: Leave barbecue, depart for Shin-Hanamaki Station via Tono bus
- 1400: Arrive at Shin-Hanamaki Station via Tono bus
- 1419: Depart Shin-Hanamaki Station for Tokyo via Tohoku-Hokkaido Shinkansen
- 1724: Arrive at Tokyo
October 12 (Sat) to October 14 (Mon)
- 08:00 ~ 05:00
- Unosumai Stadium